Monday, July 16, 2012

Monday Made It!

This summer I have spent most of my time making little projects here and there for my classroom. Some have been things for students to use while others have been made to add a little bit of Megan to my room. Because I have absolutely fallen in love with linky parties, I thought I would share with you a little project I whipped up through Monday's Made It with 4th Grade Frolics. Click on her button below to check out her blog, it is full of great resources and project ideas!



So for my Monday Made It project, I created a cute cork board that I thought would go great behind my desk! I plan to put pictures and inspirational quotes on the board to help remind me of the great gift I have been given (teaching) and keep me encouraged to always pursue more as a teacher with my students.


This project turned out to be much easier than I expected, it only took me about an hour to make. I found some inspiration for the project here on pinterest and fell in love. I felt that the simple nature of the board with small amounts of detail would be perfect. As you can see, I didn't go with the burlap look (although I would have loved to) because I had some extra fabric left over from making my milk crate storage seats. I liked the idea of having matching things that I have made around my classroom!

So back to making this cork board...
1. I bought a cork board at Mardel for 20% off so it ended up being about $8.
2. Then I took my left over fabric, spread it out on the floor, face down, and placed the cork board on top of the fabric, face down as well.
3. Then, I stapled the fabric on the back of the frame so it looked nicely covered.
4. Lastly, using the frame as my guide I pushed upholstery tacks (found at hobby lobby for about $2) one inch apart around the perimeter of the cork board.

*I ended up finding out that the upholstery tack went completely through my cork board. To keep the tacks from poking anyone, I put a dab of hot glue on the point of each tack. The glue dried, leaving a thick, rubbery coating on the tip of each tack.
Total cost for the project: About $10!

I know this was a short tutorial on how to make a cork board like this, but it is very easy modify and adjust to your liking! If you have any questions or run in to any problems, please let me know and I will be happy to answer any of your questions. Have you made any cute projects lately? I'd love to hear what you have made and add some more projects to my list!

Megan

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Miss Nelson! I'm going with a cool colors theme of purple, blue, and green in my classroom this year and I thought these colors would add a nice touch of cool without being too over the top! Thank you for checking out my blog!

      Megan

      Delete
  2. I love CHEVRON anything! Thanks for sharing!
    I am your newest follower! I am a new blogger and love connecting with other teachers!
    Layla

    Fancy Free in Fourth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm becoming OBSESSED with chevron prints, they are all over the place in my classroom! Thank you for following me, I am new to the blogging world too and I can't wait to check out your blog!

      Megan

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't consider myself to be great at crafting so I was very happy with how it came out. I'm learning the staple gun is my best friend!

      Megan

      Delete
  4. Hi there!!
    I'm your newest follower and a fellow third grade teacher!! I'll be entering my third year in third grade! I'd love to help you out if you have questions or need some tips or advice about anything! I know that going into your first year in a new grade level is overwhelming! I felt like I was walking into things blindly..I wasn't given any information about curriculum until three days before school started! Didin't give me much time to plan! Once I got things down though, I was able to make everything my own..and I love everything about tit! Good luck and you will absolutely love this grade!

    Courtney
    Teaching in Paradise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Courtney, thank you for your kind words and support! I was very lucky to get to student teach in third grade this past semester (so I have a glimpse of what it looks like) but I definitely can use all the support that I can get. I'm very nervous about school starting but I think I will feel better when I'm not living two hundred miles away and I am able to get things in my room. I love your blog, I'll definitely be a dedicated follower so I can get advice and tips from someone in my shoes! Have a great rest of the summer.

      Megan

      Delete
  5. This looks great. I can picture how cute it will be in your room. Thanks for sharingl.

    Jill
    Bubbalulu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm excited to get to incorporate it in my room come August. Also, thank you for checking out my blog, I can't wait to take a look at yours.

      Blessings,
      Megan

      Delete
  6. Your cork board turned out so cute! Love the color pop!! Thanks for linking up and sharing:)

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs
Blogging tips