Sunday, July 15, 2012

My favorite, must-have picture books- a linky post!

Our big moving day is coming up and I can't wait to get moving over with! I feel like I have SO much coming up in the next month but I feel ready for it... It's time to start trucking through everything on my to-do list!

Because I am a new teacher, I don't know what to expect when it comes to planning over the next year. So, I have been trying to get a lot of other things done on my "classroom to-do list"while I can. I have tried to keep myself busy with little projects here and there but as I am getting ready for the move, I am trying not to get myself into any messes... Just clean up what I have started and get organized for the next whirlwind of a month. Luckily, since I'm not busy working away on projects, I have been able to focus more on my blog. Don't ya like my new design and features?! I am very excited to write this post because it is my first "official" linky party post! So without any further adieu from The Teacher Wife:

The Teacher Wife
Here is a list of my top five favorite picture books. Most of them teach some kind of lesson about friendship or being kind to others. I just love picture books with a happy ending!

1. Stephanie's Ponytail by Robert Munsch

This book is hilarious and really teaches students to be themselves. My students always love when I read Stephanie's Ponytail because it hits their level of humor and is simple, but not cheesy. Robert Munsch is an incredible author and really, all of his books are great to have in a classroom library.

2. The Sandwich Swap by Queen Rania of Jordan Al Abdullah and Kelly DiPucchio

This is a sweet book about friendship and diversity. I love reading it to students because it is relatable to them and shows the importance in valuing people's differences. Students also really like reading this book because one of the authors is a beautiful queen (Which they think is so cool).

3. Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes

Really, who doesn't love Kevin Henkes and his mouse books?! Chrysanthemum is one of my favorite Kevin Henkes books because of its repetitive texts that students can join in on and the overall lesson that teaches students to embrace who they are because everyone is special.

4. The Very Best Pumpkin by Mark Kimball Moulton

The Very Best Pumpkin is a great book for students because you can use it along with so many lessons. Besides all of the reading activities that can go with this book, lessons can be taught about science and friendship. The illustrations in this book are so cute and really ties this meaningful story together.

5. The Lion and the Mouse by Jerry Pinkney

This book is by far one of the most beuatiful books I have ever seen and read. Although The Lion and the Mouse is a wordless picture book, readers can make meaning from the text easily. I love this book because it can be used with all ages and every reader can get something from it. This book also aids to teaching a variety of reading and art lessons, such an added plus!

My list could go on and on when it comes to my favorite picture books. In my opinion, both writing nd illustrating books is such a work of art and can enhance student learning in incredible ways. Providing students with time to dive in to quality children's literature will not only help them to become better readers, it will also help them to become better thinkers and learners.

I hope you love reading as much as I do and if you haven't heard of some of the books I have included above, I hope that you will check them out! I would love to hear about what your favorite books are, please let me know of some of your must have books in the comments below!

Megan

24 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up! The Sandwich Swap looks adorable! I am putting it on my wishlist!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for throwing such a great linky party! I'm glad I was able to show you a new book. It is a great one to add to your reading list!

      Megan

      Delete
  2. I've never seen that version of the Lion and the Mouse. I love to use wordless books, especially with my just emerging readers! Thanks for the suggestions!

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This version is absolutely beautiful. Honestly, it really changed the way I look at the relationship between the illustrations and text within a story, I highly encourage you to check it out. Your students will be amazed by it!

      Blessings,
      Megan

      Delete
  3. I love the first three books, too! Every year I read Stephanie's Ponytail and the kids love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you just love them?! I think Stephanie's Ponytail has to be my all-time favorite, I laugh through it every time! Thank you for checking out my blog.

      Megan

      Delete
  4. I'm visiting through the Linky Party. Don't you just love picture books?!!? Great top 5! Chrysanthemum made my top 5 too! Come by when you get a chance. I'm your newest follower.

    Waving from The Teacher's Chatterbox,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for checking out my blog and following me. I love having such a great teaching community to surround myself with! I will definitely check out your blog. I can't wait to see what great things you have there!

      Megan

      Delete
  5. What a fun list of books, I am intrigued by The Sandwich Swap! I am now your 10th follower!
    Shawna
    The Picture Book Teacher's Edition

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I encourage you to check it out! My mother-in-law gave me The Sandwich Swap as a gift a few years ago and I fell in love. It is easy to follow as a reader and keeps students engaged the whole time. I hope you decide to add it to you reading list soon!

      Megan

      Delete
  6. I'm going to have check out The Sandwich Swap! It sounds like a wonderful book to add to my classroom library. I'm your newest follower.


    imgoingfirst@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for checking out my blog and following me. Your firsties will love The Sandwich Shop, I'm glad I was able to show you a new book!

      Megan

      Delete
  7. I just discovered the Sandwich Sweap this year and love it. I always use Chrysanthemum as well. Great list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for checking out my blog. Childrens' books are one of my favorite things about teaching!

      Blessings,
      Megan

      Delete
  8. How could I have overlooked the great, Robert Munsch?? I love the Paper Bag Princess and Smelly Socks. Great post today - I am going to have to look into that Sandwich Swap tale. I am so glad I found you through the linky. Your site is super cute!

    Kelley Dolling
    Teacher Idea Factory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Kelley! If you haven't seen Stephanie's Ponytail, its a must. The Sandwich Swap is also really great. I'm new to blogging so a lot of what you see is through trial and error, but I'm getting there. I can't wait to check out your blog!

      Megan

      Delete
  9. Great books! When I read Stephanie's Ponytail to the 4th graders I student taught with they all came to school with various side ponytails - it was great to see a book have such an impact! I am your newest follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelly for following me! I love how "into it" kids get when reading this book! Gotta Love Robert Munsch!

      Blessings,
      Megan

      Delete
  10. The Lion and the Mouse looks beautiful and I love the thinking that comes along with a wordless picture book...thanks for sharing. I found your blog through the linky...love the design!

    Nichole
    Craft of Teaching
    craftofteaching@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nichole for your sweet words! I highly encourage you to check out The Lion and the Mouse if you love wordless books. I can't wait to have it on display in my classroom and use it in my reading instruction. I can't wait to check out your blog!

      Megan

      Delete
  11. OOOOH Robert Munsch! Love him! I have my kiddos listen to him a lot through tumblebooks.com too. I've never really heard of your other book choices so I'm interested to check them out!!!

    Stop by soon and enter my giveaway!
    -Courtney
    2ndgradesnapshots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting my know about tumblebooks.com! I highly encourage you to check out the other books, they are wonderful! Your blog is great by the way!

      Megan

      Delete
  12. My school counselor reads "The Sandwich Swap." What a new great way to talk about kids differences!
    Thanks for sharing.

    EmilyK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear that The Sandwich Swap is getting used in other schools too! My school is very culturally diverse so I can't wait to use it in my classroom as we talk about individual differences and valuing others. I can't wait to check out your blog!

      Megan

      Delete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs
Blogging tips